The project “Lifting the Lid on Lobbying – Towards Transparency, Integrity and Equality of Lobbying in Bulgaria” is an initiative of Transparency International-Bulgaria, implemented since the beginning of November 2013 with the financial support of the “Prevention of and Fight against Crime” programme of DG Home Affairs of the European Commission. The aim of the initiative is to assess the level of transparency, integrity and equality of access regarding the influence over decision-making processes in Bulgaria, to provide recommendations for improvement of the legal and procedural framework and to stimulate a broader public and expert discussion on the issue.
The initiative is part of the Lifting the Lid on Lobbying project of the global network against corruption Transparency International. It encompasses 19 European countries: Austria, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
The main objectives of the initiative are to:
- Assess existing lobbying regulations, policies and practices in Bulgaria.
- Compile evidence about corruption risks and incidences related to a lack of lobbying control.
- Highlight promising practices around lobbying found in Bulgaria.
- Provide recommendations and solutions for decision-makers and interest representatives in the public and private sector.
- Stimulate expert discussion on the need for adequate instruments which enhance the transparency and integrity of lobbying.
On 16 December 2014 Transparency International-Bulgaria presented the national report for Bulgaria “Lobbying in Bulgaria: interests, influence, politics”, developed within the framework of the initiative. In 2015 a comparative regional assessment on the lobbying activity in Europe will be published by Transparency International. A number of working meetings and discussions are foreseen in the coming months on the issues of transparency, integrity and equality of access to decision-making in Bulgaria.